July 30, 2023—The countdown to the kick-off of HARLEM WEEK 2023 is underway, and as regular readers of Arts & Culture Connection know this is my favorite time of the summer! This year’s events begin on Wednesday, August 9, 2023, and continue through Sunday, August 20, 2023, with both in-person and virtual events.
Sponsored by the Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce (GHCC), the annual festival began 49 years ago as HARLEM DAY. Since that time, the festival has expanded to 10 days of festivities that not only showcase the diverse and rich diaspora of African, Caribbean, Hispanic and European cultures, but also to address some of the most pressing issues facing members of the global majority.
The theme of HARLEM WEEK 2023 is “Be the Change—Hope. Joy. Love.” The festival will feature a wide array of events for everyone—lovers of music, film, live performances, and virtual dance parties. There also will be special events for families, teens, and seniors, as well as the annual jobs and careers fair.
Here are some of the major public events I hope you will check out:
- Virtual and in-person Climate Change Conference, Wednesday, August 9, 2023, beginning at 6 p.m.
- Imagenation Outdoor Film Festival, August 11, 2023, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- The Percy Sutton Harlem 5K Run & Walk and Children’s Run, from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. , Saturday, August 12, 2023.
- Remembering Tina Turner, Sunday, August 13, 2023, at Noon.
- Economic Development Day, Wednesday, August 16, 2023, from Noon to 3 p.m.
- Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Hip Hop on Saturday, August 19, 2023, at 1 p.m.
- Two Day Children’s Festival, August 19-20, beginning at Noon.
- Tribute to Harlem’s own Harry Belafonte on Sunday, August 20, 2023.
And be sure to scroll to the bottom of the HARLEM WEEK home page to check out the videos from the 2022 event, and pictures from previous years.